Follow these simple steps to ensure your RCDs (safety switch) are operating correctly:
- Plug a small lamp into a power point and make sure it works. Leave it turned on.
- Make sure that electricity is connected to the property and the main switch is in the “on” position. The lamp should be on.
- Turn off all electronic equipment (computers and televisions) etc.
- Push the test button on each RCD (safety switch). Do not hold your finger on the test button. The RCD should operate (turn off). If it does not operate, it must be checked by an electrical contractor.
- After pushing the test button and the RCDs have turned off check that the small lamp is now off. Also check that all the lights and power points do not operate. To do this, plug the small lamp into all the power points and turn the power point on. If the lamp turns on, a licensed electrical contractor must be engaged to correct the wiring.
- When finished testing, turn the RCDs back on and check that the lamp works when plugged into a power point.
If you’re still having problems, contact us today!